Friday, September 21, 2012

I love you, red heads of the world!

I didn't know if I should post about this because then I would have to admit I watched (mostly listened to) the new show The New Normal this past week.  I had it on as I was doing a little online shopping after the kids' bedtime (how did moms shop before the internet??) and although it's not something I'll watch again, I thought one part was particularly funny.
In it, a young woman has decided to be a surrogate mother for a gay couple.  They are all in the doctor's office and the doctor is explaining all of the prenatal tests that can be done to determine any range of deformities and disorders in their unborn child.  At some point, the doctor mentioned a possibility of the baby having red hair and one of the dads completely freaked out.  By the end of the appointment, the doctor was patting him on the back and assuring him that red heads only make up 4% of the world's population. 
I just did a quick Google search and there was an article in the 1/10/12 Chicago Tribune entitled "It's Tough to Be Red."  In it, it said there is such a thing as red head discrimination and it is a form of racism! 
This brings back a hilarious memory from last year's post-pheasant hunting supper in which one of David's aunts (whom I will let remain anonymous) reported to us that sperm banks were no longer accepting red heads because red headed children were getting picked on.  I'm not even sure how we got on that subject, but I don't think I've laughed that hard since. 
I guess I shouldn't have been laughing . . . it turns out this is a serious matter we have on our hands!
I had no idea. 
David seems to have weathered the red head storm alright, as have two of his three siblings.  I think my 86 year old grandpa has done alright in life, too.
As I've said before, I was thrilled to get 2 red heads and it was the first thing the nurses reported to me after Rachel was born. 
Maybe we just live in a more accepting region, where red heads are a welcome diversion from the dishwater blonds and light browns of European ancestry that seem to make up most of the country side.  If anything, I've noticed people will call hair a shade of red, even if it isn't, just because they want themselves or their child to be a little unique.  I used to occasionally dye my hair a shade of strawberry blond, but I don't anymore since I live in a household with three authentic red heads.
The last time I did it several years ago, it just made me feel like a wannabe.  I just can't compete with the real thing, which fortunately I've been able to pass down through recessive genes!
Stay strong red heads of the world!  You make up a colorful 4% of the world's population that we need. 
Otherwise, we'd just be black, brown, blond and BORING. 
:o)

No comments:

Post a Comment