Friday, September 7, 2012

Fresh Pear Cake

If there is ever a casting call for Fruit Hoarders, I am SO in.  I just cannot resist any fruit that comes in a box.  I have had this problem for a few years (if you look back at posts, you'll see).  :o)   
It's the next best thing to having my own fruit tree, I suppose.  Or, maybe it is better.  I don't have to pick them and they don't make a mess in my yard!
We have been eating pears and pears and pears since I brought home the box yesterday. 
It works out great for Rachel, too, as she has decided that baby food is for BABIES.  She is a big girl with seven teeth.  Now pass the cut up big girl food, thank you very much.
I have done pear pie, pear muffins, pear sauce and today I tried Fresh Pear Cake.  I even timed it perfectly so my boys could have a warm slice as they came in the house from school. 
Oh, yeah.  Mother of the Year right here! 
(Too bad I am always out of the running for that award shortly after midnight on January 1!) 
 
Fresh Pear Cake
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 cups finely chopped pears (about 8 Bartlett pears)--no peeling required!
1 cup walnuts, if desired (I did not desire.)
Combine eggs, sugar, honey, oil and vanilla in a mixing bowl and mix well.  Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.  Stir into egg mixture just until moistened.  Stir in chopped pears.  The batter will be thick.  Spoon into a bundt cake pan and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.  Cool for 10 minutes before turning over onto plate.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment