Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats

I ventured a little out of my cooking comfort zone to try this oatmeal recipe. 
The result? 
It was a success! 
This is from the blog He and She Eat Clean and was shared by Facebook friend Sarah, whose family follows a clean eating plan. 
Now, you can't mess with a South Dakota farm boy's diet too much.  We are a mid western meat and potatoes eating family, with plenty of fruits and veggies, too.  I am thankful that we eat the beef we raise, so we know exactly where the majority of our meat comes from.  David doesn't complain about what I cook, but I also know not to veer too far off the meat and potatoes path lest he start. :o)  I can't say I would do things much differently if I were single, since I was raised as a meat and potatoes girl myself.
Still, this recipe looked like something this family might like!
This was the first time I ever bought steel cut oats (which looks nothing like oatmeal) and almond milk.  I am a descendant of dairy farmers.  As long as you don't have a doctor's note saying you can't drink milk, you support the dairy farmers and you drink your milk! 
I gathered all of my ingredients and stirred this together before bedtime.  By the next morning, the kitchen smelled wonderful and all I had to do was stir and serve our breakfast!  We did add a little more brown sugar and milk to our bowls, but other than that, it went over well!  In fact, we all (except Rachel because of the almond milk) had a warmed up bowl for breakfast again today.  Just add a little extra water on the 2nd day. 
It makes 10-12 servings.
You will need:
3 cups steel cut oats
3 cups vanilla almond milk (original recipe says unsweetened, but I could only find regular)
10 cups water
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup brown sugar (original recipe calls for IDEAL brown sweetener)
3 T cinnamon
1-2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Spray crock pot with cooking spray.  Mix all ingredients together in crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours.  Stir before serving. 

Check out heandsheeatclean.blogspot.com for more recipes and information on Clean Eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment