Monday, September 24, 2012

Sr. Helen Prejean

My friend Cathy invited me to join her to the South Dakota Pax Christi Conference on Saturday. 
The event was hosted by the Benedictine Sisters in Watertown and the Presentation Sisters in Aberdeen.  These are both such amazing groups of women!  If you think nuns are boring or if your only experience of a religious sister is what you've seen on TV, you need to become more familiar with these communities of sisters.  They are educated, funny, hard-working, joyful women who are placed all over the country doing all varieties of jobs.  It is always a joy to spend time with them. 
Sr. Helen Prejean is one of these amazing women, who is in a community of sisters in Louisiana.  You may remember her name from the 1995 movie Dead Man Walking in which Susan Sarandon portrayed her.  The movie was based on her book (of the same name) about her experiences as a spiritual advisor to a death row inmate. 
The conference focused on the death penalty in South Dakota and in the United States at large.  Pax Christi, and Sr. Helen, are strong opponents to the death penalty and support the dignity of all life from conception until a natural death.
Since the book and movie came out when I was too young to go to R movies, I missed them the first time around, but now I have my own autographed copy of Dead Man Walking
I'm truly thankful that Cathy invited me to share the day with her and meet this awesome woman who has done so much for social justice in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment