Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sweet Treats for Easter

I recently found a really cute blog called Catholic Icing.  The site is chock full of good faith-based activities for families and children, but I especially enjoy the food crafts for kids. 
The first post I read gave many ideas for helping kids focus on the true meaning of Easter.  I plan on making these Empty Tomb snacks with the kids this weekend.  Ours will be a little different, though.  Since my nephew Carter doesn't like chocolate, I bought non-chocolate supplies and frosting instead of coconut.  I'll keep you posted on what our finished version looks like!  This is the sample photo from the blog.

I read the post for the Jolly Rancher Cross Pops on Friday and thought they might make cute favors for Landen's First Communion.  Landen, Teresa, and I put them together this afternoon as a trial run and, with many thanks to Lacy's specific instructions on the blog, they were a success!  I will let you refer to the link above if you'd like to make these, but here are a couple pictures of our cross pop creations.  
 One bag of Jolly Ranchers makes about 5 pops. Also, I left mine in the oven for about 8 minutes because some didn't look melted after 5 minutes.   That ended up being a little too long for the faster melters.  (This is a test in how even your oven heats as well!)  I realized when we were putting the sticks on them that I could smoosh any that weren't completely melted with my fingers and that worked, too.  We plan to gather more Jolly Ranchers and make enough for our family and friends in a few weeks!
Happy Palm Sunday and may your Holy Week be blessed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment