Sunday, April 15, 2012

Why My Baby was Nearly Naked in Pizza Hut

As our family settled into our pew at church this morning, I heard Teresa loudly whisper to her Dad, "The Easter candle!"  I smiled inside.  She had been listening lately, or remembered learning about the Easter candle at her sister's baptism.  What a beautiful moment.

It all got interesting after that.

Shortly before communion, Teresa's increasingly obnoxious behavior earned herself a trip outside with Dad, yelling, "No, Daddy, No!" as he carried her the entire way out. 

Some day as a teenager she will listen as fellow parishioners tell her they remember this particular Sunday.  (I may or may have not done the same thing in church at about the same age.) :o)

Even before they made it out of church, I noticed that the baby handed to me had lost her new baby smell.
I checked out the situation after church and we had a disaster on our hands.  No problem!  I had a fully stocked diaper bag.  I pulled out an extra sleeper to change her into and realized it was all wet.  Somewhere along the line, a bottle of water must have leaked in the bag and I didn't notice. 
Aha!  A pair of pants was also in the bag and still dry.  We had planned to venture onto Aberdeen after church.  A onesie wasn't my ideal shirt for Rachel on a cold, windy, rainy day like today, but it would have to do.  Her car seat cover and fluffy blanket would keep her warm.
We decided on Pizza Hut for lunch.  As we all sat down, I commented that she again smelled a bit . . . interesting.  I really should keep my nose and my mouth shut.
This time it was worse!  Her pants and socks were done.  Her onesie wasn't the best either, but I couldn't have a completely naked baby in Pizza Hut!  I need to add that as I was pondering what to do and checking one more time if there was ANYTHING left in the bag to clothe Rachel with, she was grinning at me the entire time.
I had no choice to become THAT mother.
Yes, I'm the mother who covers up her baby's legs with the diaper changing pad (thankfully a cute hand sewn one given to me by my sister-in-law) and carries her through Pizza Hut on a very cold day wearing only a onesie.  Nope--no socks.  Had my grandma seen such a thing, she would have called Social Services right away.
A baby or two ago, I would have tearfully told David we had to take our pizza to go and go home.  Not anymore.  Even the second blow out left me unfazed.  Rachel was perfectly content snuggled in her blanket on Dad's lap while we ate.  She was thankfully done making messes for the rest of the trip. 
As soon as we got home, I dressed her in the warmest thing I could find.  She didn't mind her lack of clothing, but I did!
And that is why my baby was nearly naked in Pizza Hut today.

No comments:

Post a Comment