Friday, April 13, 2012

Slow Cooker Taco Beef

It's a slow news day around here, so . . . how about a new recipe for your weekend??

This all started normally enough.  Over my morning coffee yesterday, I found a recipe for roast pork that I wanted to try for supper.  The original recipe used a pork roast, a packet of taco seasoning and a can of tomatoes and green chiles. 
I decided to try the recipe using a beef roast, since we always have plenty of beef in the freezer.  On my way through the pantry, I noticed that I didn't have any cans of tomatoes and chiles, but I did have a jar of homemade salsa which included the necessary ingredients.  I grabbed my two substitutes and headed back to the kitchen.  As I prepared to put the roast in the Crock Pot, I discovered that I didn't have any taco seasoning!  I substituted that with about 1/2 cup of taco sauce.  I poured the sauce and salsa over the roast and cooked it all on low for about 8 hours.  After it was done, I shredded it and then put it back into the juice to warm until we were ready to eat.
We all thought the result was great!  Last night we ate it on soft taco shells with taco fixings.  Today's leftover roast made a yummy sandwich. 
Even though this started out as someone else's recipe, it ended up being my own--and a keeper for this family!  I hope you like it, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment