Sunday, April 22, 2012

When You Have Too Many Porcupines . . .

make them into meatballs!  I hardly ever post a main course recipe, so it is time to share one of my old favorites.  This recipe is from a cookbook I received as a wedding present.  I love church cookbooks!  The good news is no porcupines are required.  I hear they can be kind of spendy. :o)

Porcupine Meatballs
1 cup uncooked rice (either regular or instant rice will work)
1 cup water
2/3 cup chopped onion
1 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 lbs ground beef
Sauce
1 15oz. can tomato sauce
1 can tomato soup
2 cups water
3 T brown sugar
1 T Worcestershire sauce

In a bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients.  Add beef and mix well.  Shape into balls.  (I use a medium or large scoop.)  Brown meat balls in a large skillet; drain and then return to skillet.  Combine the sauce ingredients; pour over meatballs.  Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.  Serves 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment