Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Add it to the list.

There are several things that I wished I liked, but I don't . . . .

1. sewing
2. bookkeeping (as does my husband)
3. vegetable gardening
4. most classic novels
5. amusement park rides
6. walnuts
7. picnics
8. camping
9. making small talk in unfamiliar social situations
10. running

Yes, after my triumphant first-mile run last summer, I have now decided that I am just not a runner.
I started out the spring in "training" to run at least a mile of a local 5K in June.  (By training, I mean that I pinned a Couch to 5K program to my Pinterest board and got up to jogging about 1/4 mile at a time.) I didn't get too far into this rigorous training when I realized it was scheduled for the weekend I will be in Fargo with my high school friends. Oh, darn.
Walking continued, but any semblance of running stopped.
I declared to my husband, a former cross country runner, that I am just not a runner.  He said it's OK, but I can't help but be a little disappointed.
I have taken better care of my health through diet and exercise and thought that running would branch off as a natural part of that.  (At least that's what happens on The Biggest Loser.)  It didn't work that way for me.  I admire runners, I like the thought of it, but not so much the reality of it.  I like the fun and energy of the 5K, but not so much the 5K itself.  There are sooo many other ways I would rather get my daily workout--pretty much any other way.
So, for now, add it to the list.
Maybe I'll change my mind someday, but I think I have a greater chance of resurrecting my dusty sewing machine than my running shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment