Tuesday, November 22, 2011

This & That

This week finds us just 4 weeks or less away from meeting our newest family member!  In some ways, it seems like I have been pregnant forever and in other ways it has gone by quickly--especially these past few months.  We are all excited and getting ready.  I am hoping the crib gets set up sometime this week, but that might be something David rushes home to do before baby and I come home from the hospital.  That's really all I ask for--just have it ready for when we get back home!
Nathan told us that Jesus told him our new baby is a girl.  I'm not really sure when this conversation took place, but possibly having another sister concerned him.  He asked me, "Mom, can you ask God to make it a boy?  He can do anything and He can change it!"  I assured him that--boy or girl--God will give us the family member that we need!  I still don't think he's entirely convinced that another sister would be a good idea!

Today Teresa and I are easing out of pumpkin season and into cranberry season.  We made a batch of homemade cranberry sauce this morning and this bread.  I'm sorry my photo is not uploading, so you'll have to use your imagination!  I really like how it turned out.  I used a cup of frozen cranberries and did not use any walnuts.  The glaze is something I added and I feel it completes the bread.  A little extra sweet never hurts!

Cranberry Orange Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 cup orange juice
2 T melted butter or margarine
2 T hot water
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.  In another bowl, beat egg.  Add orange juice, butter, and hot water.  Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.  Gently fold in cranberries and walnuts.  Spoon into greased loaf pan.  Bake at 325 degrees for an hour or more until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool.
Drizzle a glaze made with orange juice and powdered sugar over the top.  It works well to fill the bottom of a baggie with the juice and sugar, mix them together with your fingers, and snip off a corner to drizzle on the cooled bread.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment