Thursday, October 8, 2009

Continuing my Fall Foods Obsession . . .

If there is a shortage of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in area grocery stores this fall, I am sorry. In the past couple weeks, I have already used more than my share of those spices as well as sugar, flour and butter. I just can't stop baking comfort foods. Fall foods are my favorite to both taste and smell. As long as I keep up my habit of stockpiling a majority of the goodies in the freezer, my weight gain, if any, will at least be gradual.
Yesterday I tried a new applesauce recipe and had apples simmering in the slow cooker all day. Today I ventured away from apples and now have a Baked Pumpkin Pudding in the oven, which is basically a pumpkin pie filling without the crust. It smells absolutely heavenly and came together in no time at all.
Baked Pumpkin Pudding
1 egg
2 cups canned cooked pumpkin (I used 1 can, which is a little less than 2 cups)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 cups fat-free evaporated milk
DIRECTIONS
In a bowl, beat the egg, pumpkin, sugar, honey and spices until blended. Gradually beat in milk. Pour into casserole dish. Bake, uncovered, at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F. Bake 50-55 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm or cold. Garnish with whipped topping. Store in the refrigerator.
If you need any further encouragement to try this recipe, it is actually pretty healthy. One serving of the pumpkin pudding supplies 300% of daily Vitamin A.
I am glad tomorrow is grocery shopping day again. I have to replenish my baking supplies!

No comments:

Post a Comment