Saturday, October 17, 2009

Nice!

I'm a "nice" girl. I was taught early to play nice, talk nice, and be nice. Now that I am 30 years old, I realize that it is not always "nice" to be nice.
This is not a new problem. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have said "No" to a volunteer position or something I have been asked to do for someone.
The times I have said "No," though, I have been thankful I've done it.
Let's see if I can remember a few . . . .
There was the time I was called in high school and asked to give blood.
Seriously, it is really polite to call a 17 year old girl out of the blue and ask for her blood?
There was the time I was asked to be an assistant girls basketball coach.
Ha! That would have been a disaster!
And then there was that time David insisted that we take in his church's old organ that the church hadn't even been able to trade in! He even proposed that we keep it in our entry way. If you have seen our entry way, you would know that a church organ would leave a closet and a narrow walkway at best.
You know, maybe I should have said "Yes" to that one. It would have been interesting to see how long he would have tripped over it before he hauled it out to the junk himself!
I do often hate to say "No," but sometimes it is necessary. For instance, due to distance, young children, and a husband who often works late, I despise having to go to meetings at this point in my life. I will contribute to organizations in other ways, but forget it if you want me to attend several meetings.
Someday I may agree to be an officer for the church ladies' group, but not anytime soon. I am thinking about age 70 sounds good to me. That way I'll only have the position for 25 years or so.
Where am I going with this? I don't know.
Sometimes I just think it would be nice if I didn't think it was so nice to be nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment