Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me . . ."

Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me, but deep down I know that's not true. Some of the smaller countries are neutral.
Robert Orben

Today is our second rainy day in a row. I LOVE rainy days . . . when I can curl up with a good book or a movie for the better part of the day.
When it is the second day having my two youngest cooped up in the house all day, I become VERY ready to see the sun again! I just can't seem to shake my case of "crabby mommy" today.
It is only 10am and we have already played 1 1/2 games of Chutes & Ladders (one is not enough--two is too many), put 1 1/2 puzzles together (again--the same), and finally, baked some cookies together.
I love to bake and it is something I really enjoy doing with my kids. This morning, however, they were driving me up a tree. Teresa was up on the counter measuring the baking soda onto the counter (as I had just turned my back to check the recipe) and Nathan was insisting on putting in the flour, while pouring half of it outside of the bowl. It was a constant battle of keeping little fingers and a coughing little girl away from the mixing bowl.
I finally truimphantly put the cookies into the oven with a minimal mess on the counter and floor and hopefully with as few cold germs as possible mixed into the dough. I divided the doughy beater & bowl between my more-than-happy-to lick-them children.
I explained to Nathan that if he and his sister listened to mommy more often, she probably wouldn't be so crabby. He wasn't sure if he wanted to test that theory or not.
My favorite chocolate chip cookies have oatmeal in them, but I made cookies without oatmeal today because I know that is what David likes best. I found a recipe that looked good on the picture, but as I removed them from the oven my cookies instantly turned into brown, chocolatey puddles. I was looking forward to the little light brown pillows of yumminess I had seen. How disappointing!
I managed to salvage most of them and now have a pile of brown, very thin chocolate chip cookies stacked in a bowl. I know what David will ask when he comes home. "Why can't you ever just make regular chocolate chip cookies?"
Arrrgh! Then I remembered Robert Orben's quote. As long as Luxembourg remains neutral toward me today, this day still has a chance to turn around.

No comments:

Post a Comment