Friday, September 25, 2009

My First Try at Chai

This morning dawned foggy and rainy once again. That meant it was a good day for three things--curling up with a good book (yeah, right!), getting a beef vegetable stew started in the crock pot, and trying out my conglomerated chai recipe.
The verdict? Not bad. It needs some tweaking, though. It is not quite the same "pumpkin pie" flavor experience as The Daily Grind.
I agree with most of the recipe authors that the slightly orangey flavor of the cardamom is a must. I think I am going to cut back to 3/4 teaspoon instead of 1 teaspoon next time, though. This is the recipe I used:

Chai Tea
1 cup dry milk
1 cup dry non-dairy creamer
1 cup dry vanilla-caramel creamer (another recipe called for french vanilla)
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups instant tea
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp cardamom

The good news is after we are finished with harvest this fall and my oral interp duties come to an end in early December, I can devote the rest of my winter to concocting the perfect chai recipe. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment