Friday, September 11, 2009

At the Convention

The weather was perfect in Chamberlain/Oacoma today with hardly a breeze--very UN-South Dakota like! Unfortunately, I only got to spend a few moments outside all day, but I think this might be a fun place to visit when our kids are a little older. There is a beautiful walking trail along the river and is populated enough that I am not deathly afraid of rattlesnakes. (If you know me, that is a reason why I have never been a fan of the river or anything west of it!)
The convention has not yet expressly pertained to coaching Oral Interp, but I have gleaned some information from each session that I can apply to it. (Except maybe the class on making fake blood and bruises. That might come in handy for the spring play.) Tomorrow is the session with the panel of judges telling us what they look for at the state contest. Rachel suggested last night that I stand up and shout, "Liar!" midway through their presentation. :o) (And that is as political as this blog is EVER going to get, so I hope you enjoyed it . . . .)
So . . . because I have just been gleaning so far and not hanging on every word for each hour and fifteen minute session, I have had a lot of time to think. I am finding as I go from session to session that although I like my coaching job and the kids I work with, the art of public speaking is not my passion. This is not anything new--I knew that way back in my high school speech class. Even with teaching, I love the actual teaching part but do not particularly enjoy standing up in front of a large class.
My heart has always been in writing and I keep feeling the need to write--even if that just includes the minutae of my everyday life some days. I am just not sure what God wants me to do with that gift and desire to write. I am not a reporter, I really do not have any ideas or desire to write a children's book, nor do I have any plot lines for the next great American novel. Furthermore, I haven't written a play in over 20 years. (Truth be told, I'm not sure the plays my friends or cousins and I wrote together in the early 80's were real quality stuff, although our mothers seemed to really enjoy them. Or were they just happy they were over?)
For the time being I will just have to be content being one of the million or more bloggers. It is just as well, as God knows I would probably try to pursue it immediately when my family is and needs to be my top priority right now.
I look forward to finding out His plan. Until then, thanks for stopping by my blog.
Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment