Thursday, September 24, 2009

Little Things

A lot of the time, it is the little things that make my day. Yesterday was filled with all sorts of great little things.
I will start with the earliest little thing. I checked my email yesterday morning and saw one with the subject "Surprise!" from David's aunt Kristi. I was pretty sure she wasn't announcing a pregnancy or anything of that nature, so I was especially intrigued. I was indeed surprised to see her message that she was sending me some cardamom for my chai recipe (and some treats for the kiddos, of course.) Kristi has about a zillion nieces, nephews, great nieces, great nephews, nieces & nephews in-law, not to mention a busy full time job. Yet, she always remembers each of us with a card and letter on our birthdays and several times throughout the year. Thanks again, Kristi!
Then Teresa and I were off to Aberdeen. After two rainy days at home, I was actually glad when the toilet handle broke Tuesday night. Yes! I would be more than happy go to Aberdeen and buy a new one! I also had to find a new jacket for Landen. Last year we went through pair after pair of gloves. He wasn't even a couple weeks into school this year and already lost his JACKET! Our first stop was the consignment store and I found a jacket in his size right away. On my way out, I found all sorts of cute girls' clothes that Teresa will be able to wear this winter or next summer. I LOVE spending around $2 for a nearly new outfit!
My email was another source of blessing when I returned home and received a message from a friend of mine addressed to several area young mothers. She told of some of the struggles she faced with her three children when they were little and how we should appreciate these years, as difficult as they may be. I couldn't stop thinking about that for the rest of the day. Her children are now such pleasant, responsible, hard-working people that I never would have thought they were once colicky, hyperactive, and stubborn toddlers much like my own. It gave me a little boost--a little shot of hope--to tuck into my back pocket when I am knee deep in power struggles and sibling rivalry.
There were other little things--a beautiful afternoon, a productive oral interp practice, a blessedly quiet Religious Education meeting--that helped to make my day.
I wish I could be more in tune with the little things every day. I know they are always there--I just need to be aware of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment