Thursday, October 2, 2014

Hitchhikers

Remember this lovable little kitten?
As it turns out, she loves to travel.
And she's not the only one.


About a week after we adopted our three kittens, the orange and striped one disappeared.  They had stuck pretty close together all week, and our neighbors hadn't seen them, so I assumed they had either wandered away or were eaten by the same wild animal.

A couple of days later, I returned home to a message that they had shown up in town 2 miles away!  Although it is understood by our kids that farm cats come and go, we were still happy to have them back.  At first I thought they had walked into town, but then I realized that they must have hitched a ride under the van the day they went missing.

Last Sunday, we returned home from church to another call.  This striped kitten had shown up at another nice lady's house and again had spent the night in town.  Truth be told, she had stumbled onto what sounded like THE Cat's Meow of homes, but that nice owner already had enough cats and so this one had to be returned to our farm.

All had been well this week.  All cats and kittens were present and accounted for.  I even saw this one enjoying a tasty mouse yesterday.  Way to go!  

One of our mama cats had had kittens in a barrel several weeks ago and the kids finally let them out since Mama Cat didn't seem too interested in doing it herself.  They had been playing with them and taming them down.

This morning Rachel and I did a little grocery shopping in Faulkton (20 miles away).  After I left the store, I decided to stop at the animal feed elevator and pick up some dog and cat food.  I did as I always do, pulled up to the door, told the man what I needed, and he carried it out to the van for me.  I don't usually buy cat food, so I told him that we had recently adopted some cats.

Then he asked, "Do you have a cat in there now?"
"No," I laughed. I hope not!"
We both thought it must have been a toy in the van and dismissed it.
Until I backed away and the meowing got louder.
He flagged me down.
Oh, no.  I DID have a cat in there!

I stopped, popped the hood and there--right under the hood and scared as can be--was one of those kittens from the barrel!  It was so freaked out, it bit the guy (which I still feel terrible about)!  Showing much more compassion than I would have in that situation, he went across the street, got a cat carrier, and I took that terrified little thing back home in my front seat.

I really hope this kitten hitchhiking is over now.

At least we know one thing.

They always find their way back to us.
I have a feeling this batch of kittens may be staying around for a long while.

No comments:

Post a Comment