Friday, October 17, 2014

Comfort & Perspective

Let me start by declaring my love for fall.  I love everything about it.  I love its familiarity, its security, its comfort.  First the apples arrive.  The leaves begin to change.  Then harvest begins.  The pumpkins appear.  And pumpkin spice lattes.  Then the pheasants and their hunters.  There's plenty of hot coffee, hot apple cider, cousin Lisa's traditional pumpkin roll, and the local craft fair.  Yes, I love the comfort it brings.  I love fall.
However, because it is all so familiar, I am finding it difficult to write anything new lately!  Harvest begins and I find myself doing the same thing as the year before and the year before that.  Making applesauce.  Admiring the trees.  Feeding the hungry farmers.  Picking pumpkins.  Indulging in those lattes.  Getting our "orange" ready.  Having just one more slice of the pumpkin roll.  Searching for that new holiday decoration for my home.  As much as I love all of these things, I've already blogged about them, so what else is there?

In seasons like these, when I feel as though it's all been done before, it is easy to get caught up in the hamster wheel of being a wife and mom. For me, it is compounded by the fact that my friends are also busy with their own responsibilities and traditions this time of year, so we don't see much of each other.  Without their reference point, it is easy to lose myself in it all.  I am just a laundress.  Just a cook.  Just a maid.  Just a sounding board.  I feel like I don't even say much to my own husband because there isn't much new to say!
I happened to see my dear friend Cathy in the grocery store parking lot yesterday.  Because our times together are so sporadic, our brief reunions are always joy-filled, whether it be in a parking lot, park, or noisy community supper.  We each talk and listen as quickly as we can before our life responsibilities call us away.  With each of us having young families, our friendship is quality, not quantity of time.  Yesterday, two of her former teachers were visiting from New Jersey, and she introduced me to them.  She called me a former teacher, a stay-at-home mom, a blogger, a book club member, a photographer.  Wow, I thought later, she made me sound quite interesting.
Later last night, I saw Proverbs 31 Ministries shared this on their Facebook page yesterday:
It's all a matter of perspective.
And I thank my friend for providing that for me.  


No comments:

Post a Comment