Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pumpkin/Squash bread

I officially concluded apple season yesterday with a bang--an apple crisp and two batches of apple sauce.  Apples are so patient . . . I only lost a few to becoming mushy in the past several weeks.  I also tried a new frozen coffee cake recipe recently, which was interesting because it MUST be frozen before it can be baked.  We haven't tried any of those yet, but I will share when we do!
 
The logical step, when one has closed the door on apple season, is to enter PUMPKIN season! 
Well, technically, I entered squash season, but it all tastes the same.  (Shh!  Don't tell my family.) 
I found a recipe with no added fat on Pinterest, courtesy of www.domesticrevolt.blogspot.com and, as I usually do, tweaked it just a bit, using whole wheat flour and cutting back on the sugar a little bit.
 
Low Fat Pumpkin (or Squash) Bread
 
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp ginger
1 15 oz. can pumpkin OR 2 cups cooked pumpkin or squash
2 eggs
1/8-1/4 cup water
 
Beat together the eggs, pumpkin/squash, and water.  Add the dry ingredients and mix until moistened.  Pour into a well-greased loaf pan, making an indentation in the center (my grandma's tip).  Bake on the center rack at 325 degrees for 80-90 minutes or until the center is done.  Cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment