Saturday, December 3, 2011

I Love this Advent Calendar

Long before I knew our children would be so interested in advent . . . or blowing out candles . . . this year, I ordered this pop-up Advent Calendar from the Ignatius Press catalog. 
Until we made it to December 1, I was taking snippets from the Word Among Us meditations or reading a bit from Isaiah for our advent wreath time.  It was alright, but it was going over their heads (and attention spans).  I needed something more simply worded and geared toward children. 
Once December 1 rolled around, I unwrapped this calendar and found just what I was looking for for our family.
They like the pop-up design that will eventually make a nativity scene when all of the doors are opened.
I really appreciate the companion booklet.  Each day provides a Scripture passage, a short explanation/meditation, and prayer--just right for children to understand.  The calendar continues through
Epiphany and has one last reading for The Feast of the Presentation of Jesus in the Temple, which is on February 2 this year.

That's all I have time for today.  It is time for our advent wreath lighting. 
It's Nathan's turn to blow out the candle tonight. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment