Friday, December 9, 2011

Something New

Today Nathan will go to his first birthday party without mom or dad.  He has been excited all week, and a little nervous, too.
The party-goers will walk to the birthday boy's daycare after school.  Nathan remembered going to daycare a few times and, although he remembered it being a fun time, he was a little apprehensive about nap time.  Once I assured him that nap time would be over when they got there, he was just fine with that and looking forward to that portion of the evening.
He didn't quite know what to expect at the party either.  What would they do?  What if he didn't know the rules at their house?  How long would he be staying?
At first I was thinking to myself, "It's just a birthday party!  Why is he over thinking this and considering all of the worst case scenarios that his 6 year old brain can think of?"

I am so glad God kept His hand over my mouth because because before I could verbalize any of those thoughts, He turned on a BIG light bulb in my brain.  Not just a 100 watt either.  It was huge.  Brighter than a LED flashlight held inches from my eyes.  (Gotta love kids. . . .)

Why do I often have many of those same thoughts and fears when confronted with new and possibly really fun experiences? 
When I do have those times, I am often blessed with people who will listen to my fearful questions and reassure me/prepare me based on their own experiences.

What a blessing to be able to be that person for my children.  I hope I can be that person for others as well.

Once again, I am learning from one of my children this week.

It is OK to ask questions in order to make us feel reassured and prepared.  Let us be thankful for those people in our lives who encourage us to take the next step. 
Otherwise, we may allow fear to keep us from experiencing new things. . . like the best birthday party EVER.

And that would be a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment