Monday, October 24, 2011

The End is Near

Our corn harvest should be complete by the end of the day.  I use "should" because strange things have been happening with the combine, tractor, and grain cart this fall.  If they can get through this day without any other unusual breakdowns, this major project will be completed!
I have come to appreciate harvest (after all, that IS how we get paid each year), and the long days with a mostly absent husband/father don't even bother me much anymore.  The adrenaline makes the entire process a challenge to conquer and I do--until about week three. 
Then I start to think about what it was like to have supper as a family (and not cold sandwiches most nights of the week) and I get a little antsy to get it all done!  I don't even remember how long this harvest has been going on . . . I think this is the start of the fifth week.  It's all blended together into a string of bologna sandwiches and Pepsi. :o)
Soon, soon, soon.  Soon our lives will be slowing down for the winter and our family will be reunited in the evenings.  I say it every year, but I love the fall time change.  More time as a family makes everyone happier. 
Thank you, God, for this gift of harvest.  Thank you, too, for this upcoming time of rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment