Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Corner Book Shoppe

Reading has become my favorite hobby for the fall months.  Most days when the kids go to bed, I am too tired to do much else, and I've found the promise of diving into a book at the end of the day something to look forward to (as opposed to diving into that basket of laundry that needs folding). 
Our closest library is about 20 miles away.  When I am getting to that town frequently (as I did last winter and summer), it isn't a problem to check out and return books.  When most of my travels take me in the opposite direction, (as they do for most of the school year), it makes it a bit more difficult to be a local library patron. 
In addition to geography, library books have a tendency to stress me out just a little bit.  I can't believe I am saying this since I practically lived at the library as a child, but I lived close enough to walk to our local library then.  Borrowing and returning books on time was never an inconvenience.
I thought I was alone in this library book stress, but I have since found out other people feel the same way!  When I have a library book, I have a deadline to finish it.  Sure, I can renew it, but then I have to remember to actually do that.  Bargain shopper that I am, I would rather buy a book than have a 2 week deadline looming over my head.  I know that sounds silly, but that's how I roll right now.
Enter The Corner Book Shoppe into my life.  It is the perfect combination of library and cozy bookstore--without the late fees or new book prices.  All of their books are used and in wonderful shape.  I buy a pile of books for probably a third of the new book price, enjoy them, and pass them on to someone else.  Many people discovered the store before me and suggested I go there--two friends, my grandma, my cousin, and aunt.  They told me how beautifully it was arranged, the amazing selection of books, and the reasonable prices.
It took me several months to actually make the first stop.  The first reason was that I hardly ever go to Aberdeen without my little sidekick T.  I wanted to have time to look around the store and not be rushed. 
The second part of my problem was that I was a little intimidated.  I love to read, but I don't follow particular authors.  If I come across a title or description of a novel somewhere, I'll make a point to read it if it looks interesting.  I didn't want to walk in and be asked, "What author do you like?"  This former teacher has been out of the adult literary loop for so long that I would probably just blurt out, "Stan and Jan Berenstain" and find myself amongst the hundreds of familiar Berenstain Bears titles my children have brought home from the library way too many times.  Someone really should have told the Berenstains that their books can get a teensy bit wordy at times . . . but that's just my opinion.  :o)
On a rare trip by myself in September, I finally made the time to stop and check it out.  Still not recognizing many authors, I took the "judge a book by its cover" approach with the various novels in the front of the store and it served me well.  I liked all four of the books I chose from their descriptions.  I am hoping yesterday's stop for a new pile of books (using mostly the same approach) is as successful. 
Sure, the books aren't free, but I always figure gas and mileage into everything and making a special trip to the library isn't free either.  Besides that, buying five books for around $25 is a pretty inexpensive hobby in my opinion. 
If you visit The Corner Book Shoppe, be sure to walk through the entire store.  The front room is just the beginning.  There are little coves for different genres, a children's room, a room with almost all cookbooks, and even a bargain table in the far room.
If you love to read, you won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment