Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Tractor Time

David kept promising me an afternoon or two in the tractor this fall, but I was beginning to think it wasn't going to happen! 
Harvest is complete--YES!  Now it is time to get the ground ready for planting next spring.  Farmers do this in lots of ways.  We use an aerator over most of our ground, which uses knife-like things to poke holes in the ground--kind of like reeeallly big worm holes to let moisture and air into the ground.  So, here was my view for a few hours yesterday afternoon.
 
This is what an aerator looks like.  The big concrete blocks to weigh it down are just so high-tech--don't you think?  It's quite a cushy job, actually.  When I get to the end of the field, the tractor beeps when it wants me to turn.  After I turn, I push a little button that says "resume" and a satellite up in space steers the tractor right where it needs to be for the next pass through the field.  Then I'm set for another mile until I turn around again.  There's minimal actual tractor driving involved.  In fact, it is best not to touch the steering wheel until it needs to turn.  Crazy--I know!
So, for about 3 hours yesterday, it was just baby and me and the radio on KLOVE . . . and the occasional rabbit who happened to hop by. 
My only complaint was that I had to bring my own snack.  Isn't that supposed to be one of the perks of being in the field?
 And for those of you who thought you would never see me behind the wheel of a tractor, here is proof. 
This afternoon will bring more of the same, except I may have my sidekick along to help me sing along to the radio today!

No comments:

Post a Comment