Wednesday, May 5, 2010

From St. Thomas to All Saints

Judging by the many well wishes our family has received, I think it's safe to say the news is out.
After much consideration, our family has decided to move from the Catholic church we have been members of for nine years and become members of the Catholic church in the same town as our school beginning this summer. (If you are not aware of our geography, we are in the middle--about 20 miles from either town.)
It has been difficult to make the final decision, but with Landen in school forty miles from our church, it is more and more apparent that it is time.
St. Thomas has been wonderful to me and to our family. I started attending mass there when David and I were engaged. I could have chosen from four area Catholic churches at the time, but I randomly decided on Faulkton one Sunday morning. God definitely led me there as it was a pleasure to have Fr. Randy as our priest for several more years after that. David and I took RCIA classes with him and learned much about the Catholic faith. We have had wonderful priests to lead us since then--Fr. Todd, and since his sudden passing, Fr. Joji. I have made wonderful friends there as well. I'm thankful that we are not physically moving from our home so that I do not have to say goodbye to these friendships and will still be able to visit occasionally.
After our school closed five years ago, we decided that our children would attend our district school. I still hoped that it would be feasible for us to stay at St. Thomas, but it is becoming very physically difficult traveling so much in both directions.
We have visited a couple of times and already know several people in our new parish. Many of Landen's friends attend there, too. The only downside is the building and parish are considerably smaller, so our kids' sometimes less-than-desirable behavior is not so easily hidden when we are there! Oh, well. I'm sure it's nothing they haven't seen or heard before!
It is difficult to move, but I know that Church does not mean the building in which we worship. It is wherever we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment