Friday, March 19, 2010

Absent Minded Professor

Landen is still enthralled with his 2010 Time for Kids Almanac. He told me this morning, "I told Megan yesterday I would bring my almanac tomorrow." She asked, "What the heck is an almanac?"

I have to say I never spent much time with an almanac until we gave this one to Landen for Christmas. It is now losing pages and needing to be rebound, but I'm not sure he could part with it long enough to get that done!
Usually when he sees a country's flag on TV, he knows which country it is or he will find it in his book. Last week he was especially interested in the states, knowing exactly where to look for South Dakota, and his favorite state, Rhode Island. Last night he saw a photo of the Hudson River crash and immediately looked up the same picture. He takes it to school with him and takes it to bed with him at night.
The almanac also feeds his love for maps of all kinds. As a toddler, Landen would draw squiggly-line "maps." Last week he was developing plans to make a model of Cresbard with cardboard. (He is now more interested in drawing up plans for a raft to carry us over the flood waters.)
He has already put in a request for the Time for Kids 2011 Almanac.
The kindergarteners keep journals in school. They can draw whatever they wish and add a sentence or two about it. This morning over breakfast, he said, "Do you know what I drew in my journal? Russia with a star where Moscow is."
That child never ceases to amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment