Monday, March 1, 2010

What is Your Love Language?

I have heard there is no such thing as coincidence. I agree with that statement after listening to KLOVE last week.
I was heading to Aberdeen with Nathan & Teresa. After negotiations with my passengers, it was decided that I would listen to my music for the first half of the trip, and they could listen to theirs for the second half--on the condition they were "super good."
I turned on KLOVE just as they were talking about the book "The 5 Love Languages"--their featured topic last week. I just heard a little bit about it before they went to music (an awesome Mark Schultz song that I love very much), and then it was time for Veggie Tales. As Larry the Cucumber crooned on about his water buffalo, the concept of love languages continued to intrigue me.
I stopped at the Christian bookstore on my way out of town and bought a copy. I wish I had read this book before David and I were married. It sure would have cleared up some confusion and frustration in our relationship over the years.
The five love languages that author Gary Chapman discusses are Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service, and Physical Touch.
I knew what our love languages were as soon as I saw the list. I am Acts of Service and David is Physical Touch.
It always kind of bothered me that whenever I felt I had fallen short in our marriage, I had the desire to bake David his favorite cookies or clean the house to meet his approval. What was wrong with me? Why was I equating love with food or work? It turns out that is just what an Acts of Service person does. Most often when I want to help someone or show that I love them, I make a meal or bake something for them. So, if I have ever done this for you, it means that I love you! If I have not, I am probably still just getting to it!
Well, if I was normal, I figured then there MUST be something wrong with David. My idea of a relaxing evening is curling up with a good book in my own chair. David would prefer we be sitting together--even if it means one of us loses circulation in an arm or leg. Since my children constantly scout the living room ready to pounce as soon as I assume a sitting position, I really look forward to my alone time after they are in bed.
It never occured to me that David wasn't trying to annoy me, but was showing his love for me. I just wasn't understanding at times.
I generally do not get too excited about relationship books. Usually they challenge the reader to do many extra things that go by the wayside sooner than later. This book, however, is different. You don't have to do anything extra at all. You just may have to do something differently--even once or twice a week to show your spouse that you are on the same page. This might mean folding the laundry instead of showering your spouse with kisses or spending an hour together instead of complimenting your spouse as you walk out the door.
So, what language do you speak?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Laura!! I love this book as well, it has helped me better understand how to love others better and to try to understand their love language (it's easy to love the way I feel loved) my love language is time and words of affirmation- so, I think that is the love language I tend to naturally speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for suggesting this book! It's my new "must read" that I want to tell people about!

    ReplyDelete