Saturday, January 23, 2010

Can I Get an "Amen"?

If you are married to a Melius descendant, you probably have this same problem. There is a characteristic that seems to run rampant among them. It is the desire to constantly try to improve what they have.
Now, this can be a wonderful quality in their line of work. But, when it sneaks into the house, and especially my kitchen, it can make this Melius wife CRAZY!!
Once I had perfected the Melius pancakes to the best of my ability, David began asking for the one thing that would improve them even more--homemade syrup.
His mom makes homemade syrup for her pancakes and it is quite tasty, however I didn't know why I had to fire up the saucepan and make my own. Even our little local grocery store probably carries 20+ different kinds of pancake syrup. If he wasn't so afraid of grocery stores (seriously--he is), he could go and pick out his own!
As luck (for him) would have it, I happened to be perusing the spice aisle one day and my gaze settled upon the maple flavoring. It was close to Christmas and I was feeling generous, so I bought a bottle.
Finally, I thought, I had attained greatness! I made my own syrup! Ah, no. Not so fast. Every measuring cup or container that held the syrup left drips behind. How would we EVER solve this dilemma?
This morning I decided to shake things up and make french toast instead of pancakes. That went over well. So did the homemade syrup, but the best part was that I FINALLY found the PERFECT syrup container for David! He said so himself!!

I discovered this alternate use for the Pampered Chef Measure, Mix, & Pour quite by accident (it was in the front of the cupboard), but I am so glad I did. Seriously, I through my arms up and did a little victory dance. It pours perfectly, holds one batch of syrup nicely, and, most importantly, does not drip.
What will my perfectionist husband set his sights on next? Lunch is only a few hours away. I am sure he will think of something.

1 comment: