Friday, May 1, 2015

Great summer read: Where'd You Go, Bernadette

I've not been so great at Melius' Most-Read these past couple of weeks, and I am going to change up this week, too.
I just received this book as a Christmas present from my friend Lori.  (Sometimes having friends in far off places makes for belated Christmas gifts, which isn't all bad.)  I decided to take it on the Arizona trip, not knowing if I would feel like reading or not.  As it turned out, I was seated by myself for the flight down. About halfway through the plane ride, after a nice little nap, I decided I would crack open this interesting cover and see what the novel was all about.
I am not kidding when I say I read 100 pages before I even knew what I was doing. Soon I wanted to know where Bernadette went, too!

One would think that a girl's search for her mother wouldn't be funny, but it is, trust me.
The style of writing through e-mails, letters, and journal entries from different points of view gives an omniscient (gosh, I sometimes miss teaching literature) point of view into all of the intriguing characters' lives.


I just saw that a movie is in the works based on Bernadette, too.  
Take this book to the beach, pool, break room, or your favorite chair.
I know you will love it, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment