Tuesday, October 16, 2012

I Like it Big, Too.

I read I Like It Big today and felt much the same as its author.  Bigger families seem to be the norm around here.  Another one of our couple friends had their #4 last week.  As I keep telling my mom, "Four is the new two!"
Earlier in this parenting adventure, many veteran parents told us, "If you can handle three, you can handle any number."  I found this to be true in our family as well.  When we got married, we wanted four children, we planned on four children, we had three . . . and then this mama found herself struggling to stay afloat for a good three years. 
As I have posted before, being open to God blessing us with a fourth child was a HUGE leap of faith.  I thank God every day for reaching both of our hearts--separately, but at the same time.  We were each sitting around our kitchen table at meals feeling as though someone was missing, and we didn't know the other had been feeling the same way.  Now that empty place is filled by our smiley red head who can't shovel food into her little mouth fast enough!
I can honestly say I LOVE having four children.  Life is actually easier now than it was with three--even two--little ones.  When our "big three" can't agree on anything else, they can agree that they love their baby sister.  She kicks her legs and squeals when she sees any one of her siblings enter the room.  I LOVE to see their LOVE for each other.
Sure, it isn't the idyllic Waltons existence I thought a bigger family would be.  Having four children has taught me that this parenting gig is not for the faint of heart and I can be pretty darn faint of heart at times!  Having a larger family brings plenty of chaos, yelling, screaming, and crying.  Sometimes the kids even do those things, too. 
I know our family can be an acquired taste to some who are blessed with our presence.  I am well aware of when we are in a place where our brand of energy--and size--isn't particularly appreciated.  But, I am also aware of when we are in a place where we ARE appreciated, and thankfully we find ourselves in those places much more often than not.
Having a larger family may mean bigger grocery bills, more dirty shoes strung around the entry, and more lost socks and mittens, but that's OK. 
We will just have more children to return the favor by taking care of us when we are old. 
Landen's farming career, Nathan's salary as a professional athlete, Teresa's income as Princess of Whoknowswhere and Rachel's career as a neurosurgeon will all assure we are in the best possible nursing home our children's money can buy. 
Until then, I'll keep their tummies full, their feet warm, and their fingers covered.

Life is good. :o)



No comments:

Post a Comment