Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Almond Joys

The 2nd Celebrating Fall Open House was a success!  We were blessed with a beautiful day outside and in and many wonderful guests joined us for the afternoon.  My main goal for the day has always been for area women to come together to visit, eat, and shop if they wish.  Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and there were guests from all age ranges--even one tiny guest who was not even a week old!
After I line up the vendors, my main focus becomes the refreshment table.  I love to bake and the open house gives me the opportunity to try real things.  One of the treats I featured this year were Almond Joys. 
 I unfortunately do not have a photo to share.  There was just one left at the conclusion of the day.  Just as I was about to pluck it off the tray and pop it into my mouth, Landen came around the corner and asked if he could have it.  Oh, the things we sacrifice for our children!  :o)
Even though I don't have a photo, I did promise that I would share the recipe.  I tweaked one I found online and this was the result:
Almond Joys
1 bag sweetened coconut (in the baking aisle)
1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
about 1/2 cup powdered sugar
whole almonds (about 24)
1/2 bag chocolate chips
1 tsp shortening
Mix together coconut, milk, and sugar and roll into balls.  Place on a cookie sheet or baking pan.  Put an almond on the top of each one and press down slightly.  Then melt 1/2 bag chocolate chips with 1 tsp. shortening.  Stir until chocolate is smooth and drizzle on the top of each almond. 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment