Monday, March 12, 2012

The Chair Project

We inherited these dining room chairs from David's grandparents.  I am not sure how old these wooden chairs are, but I know they are old enough that Grandma recovered them with this burnt orange fabric at some point.  We used these chairs for six years until they got to the point of being pretty disgusting with food, paint, and all sorts of assorted stains.
Our kids had been using our card table and chairs for their craft table, so (inspired by Nate Berkus), I decided to get them a real craft table and recover these chairs for them to use.

On a side note . . .
I miraculously did find a table just by casually mentioning it one day.  It turns out a friend of a friend had a round dining room table in her garage that she had been wanting to get rid of.  I actually started this project with the table, painting the surface with chalkboard paint.  After the chalk came out, however, David and I realized that it wasn't the smartest, although one of the messiest, ideas I have ever had.  So, it's back to the drawing board, or drawing table if you will for the table project, but it is functional for now.

So, I got to work on the chairs!
I popped the seats off and recovered them with quilt batting and this laminated cotton fabric.  Don't you just love the gears?  These chairs are now able to be wiped clean!  Wohoo!
I spray painted the chairs orange and then covered them with a walnut gel stain, which was similar to what I did to our office walls last year.  Finally, I sprayed them with a clear satin finish to seal them. 
I wasn't sure how they would turn out, but I am very happy with the result!

I'll keep you posted on that table project . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment