Thursday, August 11, 2011

Breakfast for Supper

I love cookbooks, especially ones that have been compiled by community or church members.  The names attached to each recipe give each one special meaning, even if I don't know that particular cook.  If I do, the recipe will bring that person to mind as I am making their recipe.  If I don't, I imagine the person preparing it for his or her family.  Just the fact that the cook has prepared a recipe with love and likes it enough to share it gives it a personal touch. 
Several years ago on a visit to Wisconsin, I bought a cookbook at Aunt Tami & Uncle Lynn's church.  It was quite a find.  It was my first church cookbook to come from outside my German part of the world.  This one has several Scandinavian dishes that were completely new to me.  I have tried and liked the Finnish Cardamom Bread, but have decided to skip on the Blood Klub.  You really don't want to know any more details on Blood Klub and this comes from a girl who has eaten Head Cheese and Blood Sausage.  You don't want to know the details on those either!
There are a few favorite standbys in the book and Uncle Lynn's Pour Pizza is one of them.  The original recipe is this:
Pour Pizza
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 cup flour
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/4 tsp oregano leaves
1 15 oz. can pizza sauce
1/8 tsp pepper
1 cup mozzarella cheese
Assorted pizza toppings

Combine beef with garlic salt.  Brown and drain.  Stir together flour, milk, eggs, and 1 tsp. oregano.  Pour into greased 9x13 pan.  Sprinkle with meat.  Bake for 10-15 minutes at 425 or until golden brown.  Combine pizza sauce, pepper and oregano.  Pour over crust.  Top with cheese.  Add desired toppings.  Bake for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted at 425. 

I intended to make Pour Pizza tonight, but decided to use a pack of seasoned pork sausage that was made at a local butcher shop in place of the ground beef.  As the sausage browned, however, I realized that it was intended to be a breakfast sausage rather than an Italian sausage.  (Like an Italian sausage would come out of a German butcher shop.  Silly me.)
And so, Breakfast Pour Pizza was born. 



Breakfast Pour Pizza
1 lb. ground seasoned sausage
1 cup flour
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten

7 scrambled eggs
1 cup cheddar cheese

Brown and drain sausage.  Mix flour, milk, and eggs.  Pour mixture into greased 9x13 pan and sprinkle with meat.  Bake 10-15 minutes at 425.  Meanwhile, scramble 7 eggs and season with salt and pepper.  Remove crust from oven and spread cooked eggs over the top.  Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.  Return to oven for about 3 minutes to melt the cheese. 

I hope you enjoy this happy accident as much as we did--for breakfast or supper!

No comments:

Post a Comment