Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Two Great Dates

I have been on two great dates in the past week. 
Neither of them was with my husband
It's OK--he was alright with it.  What a man!
My first was a week ago today with my sister Amanda.  I took her out to lunch for her birthday to a little restaurant/coffee shop called Mugs right next to the NSU campus.  I STILL have not forgotten the fresh Tomato Basil Soup or the Grilled Muenster on Whole Grain Bread.  It was like dunking a huge mozzarella (or muenster) stick into a cup of the most delicious marinara sauce.  YUM.  Mugs' mission is to give the grilled cheese sandwich a higher status.  Do they ever.  I ordered a value meal (1/2 sandwich with soup), so I didn't get to add any extra fillings from the multitude of choices.  And they have A LOT of choices on the grilled cheese menu--from the breads and cheeses to veggies and meats.  Next time! 
Because my coffee loyalties still lie with Darcie at The Daily Grind, I did not try one of Mugs' lattes.  I'm sure they are delicious, too, though.
When I was at NSU (10 1/2 years ago--gulp!), the business was a rental property.  It is probably for the best that Mugs didn't move in until years after I moved out!
My second date was last night with my Grandma.  I hadn't been to a movie with my Grandma in a looong time and we had a great time catching up again.  It was also "Stimulus Tuesday" at our local theatre, so that meant $1 pop and popcorn!  The movie itself was one of the best I've seen.  We went to "The Help"--the movie version of one of my most favorite books. 
What I love so much about it is the way the story shows courage--in the maids, in Skeeter, and even Celia Foote.  It shows that progress can be slow and we might not always see the completion of our work, but times are always changing.  We can be a positive or a negative force in that change.  It is one of those stories that reaches down and sticks with me.
Like To Kill a Mockingbird and A Tale of Two Cities.
Or that awesome tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment