Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Sweet Pickles

I present to you my first batch of pickles . . . ever!  They are super easy refrigerator pickles!
David and Landen thought they were alright.  Teresa, my pickle girl, had two helpings.  Nathan, of course, wasn't interested in trying anything new.  I LOVE them and warned David that I would probably eat the entire bowl and have terrible heartburn.  I'm still working on it, but making good progress.
Here is the recipe:
7 cups sliced cucumbers (I leave peelings on for extra crunch)
1 cup sliced onion
2 cups sugar
1 cup vinegar
2 T canning salt
1 T celery seed
I also added a dash of mustard seed, just because I like it.

Mix sugar, vinegar, salt, celery and mustard seed.  Heat until sugar is dissolved. DO NOT BOIL.  (I am not sure what terrible things will happen if this comes to a boil, but consider yourself warned if it does!)
Pour over cucumbers and onions and refrigerate.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment