Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day in My-Reka

It is a special Memorial Day for us this year as my Dad (a.k.a. Papa Butter)'s birthday is today!  The kids and I will be making a road trip to my hometown to visit and celebrate.
The only problem is that all three of my children think the town, Eureka, is theirs alone. 
It is funny how some children interpret the town's name.  When my sister was little, she greet our town with "My-reka!" every time we returned home.  We thought that was unique to her, but we've since heard of other kids calling it the same thing.  Landen started it in our family and Nathan and Teresa followed along.  It makes sense.  We are always telling them it is "YOUR-reka."  Of course, that would make it "MY-reka!" 
My three spent quite awhile arguing this morning as they were all competing to tell their Grandpa Melius where they were going today. 
"It's not YOUR-reka!  It's MY-reka!" we heard again and again.  Even when I tried to keep the peace and told them, "It's EVERYBODY's-reka," they still insisted that it just couldn't be. 
Eventually, breakfast took the place of their heated argument.
For now, there is peace in our home.
Let's pray another riot doesn't break out on the drive to MY-reka!

No comments:

Post a Comment