Thursday, October 14, 2010

Moving and Stuff

I'm moving again! This makes . . . hmm . . . move #5 in the past 9 1/2 years, and I've never had alert the post office. That's right--all of those moves have taken place in the same house.
The new office is finally finished and is move-in ready! David wanted a dark brown, so that's what I started with. My friend/third-cousin by marriage (I'm related to most people here) Roxanne gave me the idea of staining the walls over the paint. She came over and gave me a run-down on the technique. The most important rule, she said, was to do it all at one time. That was going to be the tricky part!
Since I can barely use the bathroom without being interrupted (on a good day), my new brown walls stayed that way for a couple weeks--just waiting for the perfect opportunity. It was such a long time that David even suggested I just leave them as paint--and he has barely been home during that time to see it!
As soon as all three kiddos went home with Grandma on Sunday evening, I cracked open the can of walnut gel stain and got to work. It only took me 2 hours to do the room and it made such an amazing difference!
I didn't think to take a "before," but here are a couple "afters"


(That is the one completed corner I have moved into.)
These periodic mini-moves have been huge in keeping the level of stuff down in our house. I thought I had just cleaned out the basement office not long ago, but I was amazed at how much stuff I had still been holding onto! Back-up disks for my first 1995 computer? Gone. The owner's manuals for our circa 1980's microwave and previous phones? Gone and gone. Magazines I was holding onto for reference, but hadn't looked at in years? See ya! Two copies of "Your Pregnancy and Birth?" I allowed myself one out of sentimentality. 60,000 possible baby names? I kept 10,000. (You know--in case we get a goldfish or something.) All of my scrapbooking supplies? Newly organized in the previous dresser drawers!
Now I just need someone to help me move my desk upstairs. It isn't too heavy, but it is a two-person job. I hope Landen is feeling strong--and helpful--when he gets home from school today.

No comments:

Post a Comment