Thursday, January 22, 2015

Melius' Most-Read: Fancy Nancy

We had a vocabulary lesson in our family shortly before Christmas.
We had been experiencing many frosty days.  One day, Landen was out with his dad and commented on the hoar frost.  (Spelled H-O-A-R.)
David told him that there was no such thing and that it was just called frost.
When David later related the story to me, he was surprised when I assured him that his son did, indeed, know what he was talking about.
After looking up the spelling and definition, he finally believed both of us.  (It refers to advanced age, as in hoary, or white, hair.)
Wouldn't you know, on the front page of the paper the next day, there was a photo of a tree with HOAR FROST in the caption!

These kind of things tickle me because so often I don't feel like I bring many marketable skills to the farm operation.
So, when I can enrich my husband's life with a new vocabulary word, I feel like I have contributed. :)

We were once again blessed with some beautiful hoar frost on our trees this morning.
See?

That brings me to our most-read selection for this week:
the Fancy Nancy series.
I love this series because the author uses big, fancy words, while providing their definitions both in context and at the end of the book.  
I look at these fancy words as broccoli sprinkled in the fettuccine.  On the side, they may be ignored.  But, mixed in, they are devoured and enjoyed by young readers.  Reading alone builds vocabulary, which has been the case with Landen.  Jane O'Connor just gives this skill a little extra boost in her books.

The girls in my family love Fancy Nancy, and I think you will find the Fancy Nancy series EXCEPTIONAL as well.





No comments:

Post a Comment