Thursday, January 29, 2015

A "real" writer

Today is a big day in my writing career--it is the first day a story I have written is being published, and I was paid to write it.  Appropriately, it is a story on agronomy.  My husband was even surprised by that. :)
I've had plenty of columns and stories published over the years; I've just never gotten paid to do it.  Even our publisher was surprised when she asked me how much I had gotten paid in the past and I answered that . . . well, I didn't.  My American News XY columns were written on a volunteer basis on my schedule and I was happy with that.
Reaching that point that I am now getting a paycheck for what I love to do--well, honestly, it feels like getting paid to eat cupcakes.  Having this first experience attached to my hometown newspaper is just the homemade chocolate icing on top.
I truly believe that small town newspapers are important to communities, both by keeping their community members connected, and keeping those who have moved away informed on what is happening in their hometown.
I love my new job copying editing for the Bowdle and Eureka newspapers on Monday afternoons.  I can't beat the commute--to my office--or my co-workers, who have been patient with me as I learn the newspaper ropes and office software.
Writing, of course, is my first love, but I am easing into the writing as my family schedule allows and I am thankful that I have been allowed to do that.  So far my family hasn't even noticed my writing, so it must mean things are going alright. :)
I'll try not to neglect my blog, but if my posts lessen because of it, I do apologize.
Might I suggest a subscription to The Pride of the Prairie or The Northwest Blade?

No comments:

Post a Comment