Friday, November 21, 2014

Chocolate Peanut Butter Mallow Bars

When it comes to potlucks, I am confident in the "salad and dessert" role.  It's the most versatile role for a rural wife and mom like myself, since I usually can find the ingredients in my pantry/freezer/fridge to make either or both.  It's also the most fun role for me, as there are so many things to choose from, and so many things I have yet to try!
We will be having a little get-together at my aunt's house tomorrow night, and with the meat and potatoes being taken care of, I offered to bring. . . a salad and dessert!  
The salad is a pantry staple--Jello, frozen strawberries and Cool Whip--no surprises there, but it's always a hit with the kids.
For the dessert, I scoured my recipe box for something new to try.  I found this recipe, clipped from somewhere sometime a long time ago.  As you can see by my notes, I had to make a few changes to fit my ingredients, but it all turned out just fine!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Mallow Bars

1 pkg devil's food cake mix (I used chocolate.)
1 stick butter, melted
2/3 cup cold milk, DIVIDED
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 7oz. jar marshmallow creme
6 squares semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (I used chocolate chips.)
1/2 cup salted peanuts (I omitted.)


Heat oven to 350.  Mix dry cake mix, butter and 1/3 cup milk until blended; press 2/3 of mixture into bottom of 9x13 inch pan. Bake 12-14 minutes, or until center is almost set; cool 3 min.
Mix peanut butter and remaining milk; spread onto crust.  Top with spoonfuls of marshmallow creme and remaining cake mixture. Sprinkle with chocolate and nuts; press gently into cake mixture.  
Bake 18 minutes, or just until center is set.  Cool before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment