Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Winter Olympics

What is it about the Olympics that brings out the athlete in all of us? 

Or is it just me?

I have barely an athletic bone in my body, but each time the Winter Olympics arrived while I was growing up, I just knew I had missed my calling.  Surely if that ice skating rink in Eureka, SD, had been just a bit bigger, I could have turned into an Olympic speed skater like Bonnie Blair and Dan Jansen.  As it turned out, I was just able to skate ovals (in my figure skates) and imagine what it must be like to win gold.

I loved the figure skaters, too--Kristi Yamaguchi, Nancy Kerrigan--but I was at least a little realistic.  I knew there wouldn't be any triple axles happening in my lifetime. 

As I told David the other night, "I could be more of a speed skater, with probably not that much speed." 

That's right.  I'm 35, past speed skater retirement age, and haven't put on a skate in over 12 years, but I'm still living the Olympic dream. 

My children have turned into Olympic fans, too.  It isn't difficult to get my boys to want to watch snow boarding and ski jump, but they've figured out that if I say "no" to all other TV, I will most probably say "yes" to watching the Olympics.  Even if it isn't something they particularly want to watch, it's better than nothing. 

This past weekend, Nathan was attempting to use my baking racks and their small folding table as ramps.  He would have tried them out if I hadn't stopped him just in time.

Yes, his Olympic dream was stolen from him.

But, it was either that or a hole through my wall.

Most of us have to give up the Olympic dream eventually.  Maybe I'll give up mine in 4 years.  On second thought, there was a skiier from Mexico in his 50's!  Maybe there is still hope for me.

I hear Cresbard flooded their rink again this year. 

I've always wanted to go to PyeongChang. 




No comments:

Post a Comment