Friday, February 28, 2014

My Favorite Conversation

My favorite conversation started last fall as we were delivering dinners to the field.

Me:  "Hello, Rachel."
Rachel:  "Hello, Mama."

It was the first time she didn't just repeat what I had said.  Every once in awhile after that, I'd see if she'd give me a "Hello, Mama" and she usually would after she gave it a little thought.

Now it comes out as naturally as can be and I still love to hear her "Hello, Mama" whether it is starting the back-and-forth or answering me.

I read an article recently that said it raises a child's IQ if they are spoken to often as babies.  I may have done a few things wrong over the years, but that is one thing I have definitely always done right if the study is correct.  I'd talk to my babies as we rocked, as we drove, and as we shopped for groceries.  Did they know or care if we needed green beans?  No, but I talked to them about it anyway and returned their tiny toothless grins.  So, I guess I shouldn't blame them for being conversationalists as they found their own words. I sort of created it.  :)

I hope you have noticed over the years that I do complain about that less now.  The toddler years were not my favorite, and many days I didn't know how I'd make it out alive, but now that we can play games together and they have their own interests to talk about, instead of just screaming/whining/fighting, it is much more interesting and fun for all of us to talk to each other and carry on a conversation.

Rachel is learning new words every day, even though her favorites are probably "Remote More Olivia or Donut Man (her new love).  But, "Hello, Mama" will always be my favorite.

That's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment