Thursday, February 27, 2014

More treasures. . . .


I did receive a few more treasures from my grandma's house (including a big pile of buttons that will make it into a craft project--someday)!  

One treasure was her set of good dishes, that she only used when all of the family was together for dinner.  The entire set is intact.  Its wheat pattern is symbolic as they were farmers and Eureka was once known as the Wheat Capitol of the World.  


But, I have to say I was mostly thrilled to find this left behind in a kitchen drawer.  It's Grandma's old wooden potato masher.  This is something I got to do every time my sister and I were at their house for dinner.  She always made mashed potatoes with a little butter and cream.  I mashed them with this.  In German, it's a Kadofle Stasia (forgive my spelling, Germans).  

When I brought it home and showed David, Nathan came around the corner and said, "You got a MARACA?"  No, just a potato masher. :)  

Although I always mash my potatoes by hand, I plan to retire this masher in a place of honor in our kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment