Thursday, February 27, 2014

Bringing RACK-O Back

While we're on the subject of treasures from our grandparents, when David's Grandma Melius passed away, our family was the recipient of her game closet contents.  
I was surprised to see this game among the dominoes, Chinese checkers, and Bingo, since I played Rack-O while I was growing up.  I thought it was a new game of the 90's.  Turns out it dates back to 1961!

We usually don't have time to play games on school nights, but since the kids were dismissed early yesterday and we ended up cancelling religious ed because of the wind and cold, I talked the boys into trying out Rack-O.  
They didn't believe it could be fun, but they humored me.  Guess what?  Nathan said it really was fun and asked if we could play again!  So, we played Rack-O two nights in a row.  
Every player starts with 10 randomly numbered and placed cards that range from 1-60.  The object is to, through discarding and choosing from the pile, to get your numbers in order from least to greatest.  A game takes us about 10-15 minutes, which is perfect.  


A good game just never goes out of style!

No comments:

Post a Comment