Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Frozen Peaches

The timing was not good.  Swimming lessons were just becoming my part-time job for two weeks and there they were--lugs of peaches at Bauer's Super Valu.  I tried to resist them--and thought I could--but I could feel my will-power getting weaker.  I hadn't canned peaches in a few years, but I have always frozen at least a box to enjoy over the winter.  Everyone here loves them and they get us through the not-so-good fruit season that tends to get a little long sometimes here in South Dakota.

Then yesterday my friend Michelle asked me for my recipe for Frozen Peaches.  And that really got me thinking about how much we love to eat them in the middle of winter.

So, I had to stop at the store and gather my ingredients today, too!  I actually bought two boxes. . . not sure why, but the extra box will end up somewhere yummy I am sure.  I do have heavy cream on hand, so some Peaches and Cream may have to be made. 

With the kids' help, I was done with a batch of these in a couple of hours.  Landen *accidentally* added an extra cup of sugar while he was mixing them together.  His great-grandmas would be so proud. :)

If you've never tackled a box of fruit before (and I still find it intimidating), it is best to do something like this in stages.  First, get a big pot of water boiling.  Add as many peaches as will fit at a time and boil them for about a minute.  Then, scoop out the peaches and put them in ice water.  After a minute or so of the cold water bath, put them into a dry bowl until you are done with the process with all of them.  This will keep the peaches from turning brown before the syrup is made.  When you are ready for them, the skins will slide right off and you can slice or dice as you wish pretty quickly right before stirring them into the syrup. 

 
Frozen Peaches
12 oranges
3 lemons
8 cups sugar
1 box peaches
 
Liquefy orange and lemon wedges in a blender or food processor.  Add sugar to liquid mixture.  Mix well.  In a VERY large container (a large roaster) or two still quite large containers, add one box peeled and sliced peaches.  Mix together with the syrup.  Scoop into containers or freezer bags and freeze. 
 
A quart-size bag filled to about 3/4 full is a good serving amount for our family.  They are best eaten the first day they are thawed, but even if they turn a bit brown in the fridge overnight, they will still taste fine. 
 
It is a bit time comsuming and sort of a sticky mess for a little bit, but it in the middle of January, I'll be so thankful we made them. 
 
Thanks, Michelle, for the extra inspiration I needed. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment