Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Ramblings

On any given day, my Facebook news feed will include political statements from friends on topics ranging from health care to gun control.  How is it possible that no one--not one--of these political types have taken a stand on something that is so much more important, which is . . . getting rid of this totally unnecessary invention we call Daylight Savings Time?!?!  I would lead the charge, but I am just too tired and so is my army.  Nothing like jet lag without leaving the farm!  We don't want to eat when it's time to eat, sleep when it's time to sleep, or get up when it's time to get up!

As you may have also caught here or there while watching the news, the first day of the papal conclave is complete and black smoke rose from the chimney, which means no new pope yet!  I signed up for PopeAlarm.com, mostly because their catch line made me smile, "When the smoke goes up, know what's going down."  :o)

As posted on the Ignatius Press website today, "Catholics do not believe that the pope is perfect, or faultless, or sinless, or even necessarily good, holy, wise, or nice. There have certainly been popes who have made foolish mistakes, enacted ruinous policies, or been bona fide scoundrels. There is one thing, however, that no pope has ever done in all history, from Peter to the present day. No pope has ever taught heresy."
--David B. Currie from his book Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic

I have not read his book, but I may in the future.  I also started reading Saints and Sinners, which is a history of Christianity and the Papal Succession by Eamon Duffy.  It's going to take some forgotten brain cells to get through it (I am somewhere around the Emperor Constantine right now), but it will be worth it!

It's exciting when I can see history being made.  Maybe it's because I simply like history and following back to where things began.  Maybe it's because, this time, our children are old enough to follow along somewhat with the process, too.  Mostly, I think, it is because it brings the Catholics of the entire world together, young and old, watching and waiting.  So much of Catholicism for me is about community, whether that being a line of us buying Filet O' Fish sandwiches on Fridays during Lent or feeling a connection to those gathered in St. Peter's Square today! :o)

And, with that, I have a tired toddler on my hands and will soon welcome our boys home from another day of school. 

Time to get back to wife and mommyhood!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment