Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Cooking for the Multitudes & a Recipe

Well, life has certainly picked up a bit! 
Not long ago, I was BORED.  God has such a wonderful sense of humor, doesn't He? 
I thought I had my March figured out.  I knew I had been chosen as a co-chair for the All Saints Confirmation dinner on March 16.  I know my way around a kitchen, I have prepared food for 100 or so people at our school dinner theatres.  Piece. Of. Cake.  Well, guess what?  Our little parish will be hosting up to 200 guests for this dinner!  It is absolutely wonderful to have 11 confirmands and their families to celebrate with them.  But--I'm really trying not to panic now!
My free moments have been spent talking to/texting/emailing my co-chair Kris and making sure we remember everything we need to remember.  David suggested last week that I take my list to the grocery store and have them box all of the ingredients, dinner rolls, etc. to have them ready for me to pick up a day beforehand.  The ladies at Customer Service started at me blankly when I asked if they have that service. 
Then they asked to see my list.
My list included, among great quantities of other things, 100 pounds of grapes.
We will pick up our boxes on March 15. 
It will all go fine, thanks to the ladies who will be helping us, but--WOW!  We are making what is known in the parish as "Funeral Hot Dish."  I think after this meal, it will earn the better title of "Confirmation Hot Dish."  :o)

Before I skedaddle off again, I want to share a soup recipe with you.  I've been a fan of soups this winter and recently found this one in a Quick Cooking cookbook.

Lasagna Soup
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 pkg lasagna Hamburger Helper
5 cups water
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can whole kernel corn, undrained
1 T Parmesan cheese
1 T Italian seasoning
 
Brown beef and onion. Add sauce mix, water, tomatoes, corn and Parmesan cheese. Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes.  Add lasagna noodles.  Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until noodles are tender.  Makes about 10 servings. 
 
I didn't have any whole kernel corn (just "floaty corn" in my pantry), so I didn't add it.  Also, the Italian seasoning wasn't in the recipe, but I thought it needed a little more spice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment