Wednesday, July 25, 2012

You & Me Goin' Fishin' in the Creek


Our big 3 are always wanting to go fishing.  I have no problem with that.  I happen to really like fishing and haven't gone since I was a kid, but I kinda have my hands a bit full right now and fishing doesn't really fit in to the schedule! 
No worries.
The boys discovered their own fishin' hole this week.  There is a pool of water left from the last time our creek ran through the culverts. 
We walked down that way and Nathan saw a few dead fish around the water on Monday.  Where there are dead fish, there must be alive fish--right????  He and Teresa headed home to make fishing poles out of sticks, yarn, and a paper clips.
We all went back down yesterday morning.  Nathan tried his fishing pole, but only caught a fish that was already dead (with his hands).  It was still exciting, so we brought it home to show our dog Callie.  I thought that would be the end of the fishing excursions. 

 Then we had a little lunch.  Some of us wore our bananas and berries more than others . . . .

 After lunch, I gave them permission to head back out.  If Nathan was content picking up dead fish from a mud puddle, I really had no problem with that.  Not too long after he headed out, Landen came back and reported that Nathan had another fish.  I got him a bucket of water (as we had done for the morning's fish).  I couldn't believe it, but as soon as he put it in the water, that fish started SWIMMING!  He caught a real live bullhead with his bare hands AND it survived the 1/4 mile walk back to our house.  He named him Flipper.
This morning we went back out and I couldn't believe how many baby bullheads are swimming around in the water!  It looks like a lot of water in this picture, but it really is very shallow and not very big in diameter.  The little fish were too quick for Nathan's hands, so we came home and got the butterfly/fishing net.  He brought home a bucketful and couldn't have been prouder.  Sure, they didn't all survive the afternoon, but . . .
that just means there's more fishin' to do tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment