Thursday, May 3, 2012

Time's a Tickin'!

There are only 6 days of school left until summer vacation.
This means I better get my Summer Mom act together--and fast! 
I have some great little ideas that I hope to implement throughout the summer.  I hope by posting them HERE, it will make me more accountable for actually carrying them out.
Great idea #1:  Have Landen work on a bit of math and Nathan a bit of reading each morning.  Not much, just a few lines each day to keep their skills up.
Great idea #2:  Introduce the "Job Jar."  Each morning, the three older kiddos will choose a job from the jar (it will probably end up being an empty ice cream bucket, but you get the idea).  The job won't be too big--something like picking up the entry or putting the books back on the bookshelf.  THEN, and this is the best part, as soon as they gather around my ankles and start to whine, "We're SOOOO bored!"  (This will probably happen about 2 minutes after this first job of the day is completed.)  THEN, they will get to choose ANOTHER job!  This could be SO great!  Of course, I know there will be some wailing and grinding of teeth, especially at the beginning, but it has potential.  And my house could be a bit cleaner until they get used to keeping themselves busy. 
I REALLY need to start Landen on playing the piano, too.  School nights have just been too crazy.  Sure, I have time to give other parents' kids lessons, but not my own.  Isn't that always how it goes, though?  Maybe we can get that done . . . and I can add "Practice the piano" to his job possibilities!
Ahh, summer vacation.  Ready or not, here you come!

No comments:

Post a Comment