Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Little Miracles

There are two ways to live your life.  One is to believe that nothing is a miracle.  The other is to believe EVERYTHING is a miracle.--Albert Einstein

This journey with Rachel we have found ourselves on is all for God's glory, so I must share how He has worked in our lives already. 
First of all, it is a blessing that our family doctor even noticed a difference in Rachel's skull and ordered a CT scan.  The neurosurgeon looked her over really well and still said her head shape did not look that severe yet.
Last Monday, David and I made an appointment with our family doctor just to get a few answers.  His niece had this surgery 18 years ago, so we were hoping to get a little insight.  All I had found online was very encouraging and said this is overall a safe and effective surgery, but it is so rare that no one I actually knew could offer any experience. 
I put Rachel down for her morning nap and then I curled up on my own bed, hoping to get at least a few minutes' rest.  Not even a minute had passed when the phone rang.  It was our dental hygienist (and family friend) calling to remind us of our upcoming cleanings later this month.  She asked about Rachel since she hasn't met her yet and I was pretty vague since we hadn't really told anyone about her surgery yet (we didn't know WHAT to tell)!  But, she persisted in asking about her until I said, "Well, actually, we are going to see about her head today."  She immediately answered, "Oh, we had that." 
Her son's soft spots had closed early, but did not require surgery.  However, her husband's cousin's daughter had to have this surgery at 6 months old (as Rachel will be) and said the surgery went just fine, as well as her quick recovery.  She is about 3 years old now and has done fine ever since. 
I told her God had HER call me on THAT morning.  I cannot tell you what comfort that encouraging phone call has been in the past week.  I truly consider it a miracle.  I have told this story to a few people, who said it gave them chills, too!  As it turned out, our family doctor really didn't have much more to tell us that afternoon, so it was that phone call that got me through until yesterday.
The next miracle is that our doctor was so honest with us yesterday and led us to the best place for our baby.  He could have just as easily made us believe Sioux Falls had the best pediatric medical team and set up the surgery there.  How would we have known the difference? 
And yet another comes through Facebook.  After Rachel's diagnosis, I put a prayer request on our Catholic Moms group wall.  We are a group mostly from the mid west, but we have moms from all over the country who offer prayer and support for one another.  One of the moms responded, saying her 4 month old son had recently had hip dysplasia surgery at Mayo, so she totally understood my anxiety with sending my baby into surgery.  Guess what else?  She lives in Rochester with her family and is a nurse at Mayo.  She has already given me some insight on what to expect (great things) when we arrive.  I will probably get to meet this new "Facebook friend" during our stay. 
I keep repeating to myself, "Do not LET your hearts be troubled; do not be afraid."  John 14:27
That is more easily said than done for a worry wart like myself, but I am trying and I AM thankful for all the ways God has shown Himself in this journey already!

No comments:

Post a Comment